Sunny-Side Up "Eggs" On Bagels

I went vegan about four years ago (I was vegetarian for four years before that), and I used to live on eggs. You name it, I ate it: deviled, scrambled, hard boiled, etc. One of the meals I miss the most is eating a gooey sunny-side up egg with toast and Maggi soy sauce (a personal family favorite).

When I saw that a vegan "egg yolk" product came out, my mouth dropped. See! Vegans can have their cake and eat it too. For this recipe, I used THE VEGG, which is available through various health food grocery stores across the U.S. and at select online retailers.

It definitely took a little thought coming up with how to make the rest of the egg, but I figured silken tofu would have a similar texture and taste.

You'll definitely see more recipes featuring this in the future because I loved it! The finished product has the same sulfury smell of an egg and it tasted great. I can't wait to try this in quiches and french toast.

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
bagels
cream cheese
avocado
silken tofu
THE VEGG "egg yolk" product
Earth Balance soy butter

1. In a pan, melt the butter.
2. Gently slice a 1/4 inch thick piece of silken tofu (note: this can be tricky because silken tofu can fall apart easily). It should be about the size of a palm. Fry the slices in the pan until slightly crunchy and brown on each side and around the edges.
3. Prepare THE VEGG like the package describes (I only used a small amount because the whole package would've been way too much).
4. Toast the bagels.
5. Take a table spoon full of THE VEGG and place it on top of the fried silken tofu pieces. Pile everything else onto the bagels.
6. Nom nom nom like there's no tomorrow because you can eat "eggs" again!

(Oh, and I made sauteed spinach on the side.)

No comments:

Post a Comment